Saturday 4th May Shell Top

Having been laid low for nearly two weeks with a very nasty bug it was good to get out again on another of my dartmoor walks.  A wet drizzly morning to start with but it changed to a lovely afternoon and perfect conditions for a walk.

I started from the car park below Gutter Tor and set out along...

 ...the track toward Ditsworthy Warren House - with Hen Tor in the distance

 So cute I just can't resist!

















Down to the ford but I walked along the river to find a better place to cross.

Ditsworthy Warren House and I looped up towards...


...Hen Tor. 

Looking back to Gutter Tor, Leather Tor and Sharpitor.

Up around and behind Hen Tor and towards the ridge.

 As Shell Top came into view..


















I got a spectacular view over to Plymouth Sound.

 Shell Top.

From here I followed the ridge.

About three miles away I could see the top of the spoil tip at Redlake...


...and Fernworthy Forest was visible to the North East...
 
...but this is remote and featureless area - navigation would be difficult in bad weather.

I walked on over Langombe Hill and turned north west  at Lancombe Head towards Lower Hartor Tor.

This took me through the valley known as Deadmans Bottom.

Approaching Lower Hartor Tor...

...with Evil Combe to my right.

Below Lower Hartor Tor a group of walkers had made camp beside the River Plym - what a great place to spend the night.

I headed over to the  Eylesbarrow track to return to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment