Tuesday 4th February Bleak House

From home I could see snow on the high moor this morning and there being no group walk today I decided to go up to Great Links Tor - this is one of my favourite areas and I have been there before when snow has fallen.

I started from the Fox and Hounds and took the track up to Nodden Gate. I was not disappointed with what I saw.  As expected this was a different world - lots of snow on the high moor but none in the fields below. There was a bitterly cold wind and the sky was ominous with dark clouds.

First I went down to look at the ford - this would be my way back and with all the rain yesterday I was concerned there might be too much water but it looked easily passable.

I followed the track leading to Great Nodden.

This was the view back with High Down on the extreme right and Brat Tor on the ridge line.

On to the cairn on top of Great Nodden with Arms Tor in the distance.

Back down to the main track and on to the...

...'points' to change direction and head towards Great Links Tor.  Fortunately the track had started to thaw - it's not easy going on these when frozen.

Great Links Tor to my right but I continued on along the track.

Kitty Tor in the distance with the red flag flying.  The track goes over a particularly nasty boggy bit and I went around this and on to....

...Bleak House.   Now a ruin but in 1879 this was the residence for the manager of the Rattlebrook Peatworks - operated by the West of England Compressed Peat Company. 


I went down to the Rattle Brook to cross and then up to...

...Lower Dunna Goat and got this spectacular view across Amicombe Hill to Fur Tor.  Higher Dunna Goat is visible on the right of the photo.

Next across to Great Links in the distance.

Where I sheltered from a heavy hail storm - it was good to be out of the wind whilst I had the hot chocolate from my flask!

Minutes later the sun came out again around the edge of Great Links Tor and I headed down. 

To Arms Tor with this view of Sharp Tor and Hare Tor in the middle distance.

Finally down to the ford followed by a baguette in the Fox and Hounds.

A truly exhilarating walk.